Thursday, April 15, 2010

Corrie, an extremist.

Was not Jesus an extremist in love? "Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, pray for them that despitefully use you." Was not Amos an extremist for justice -- "Let justice roll down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream." Was not Paul an extremist for the gospel of Jesus Christ -- "I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus." Was not Martin Luther an extremist -- "Here I stand; I can do none other so help me God."


Martin Luther King Jr. Said those words in his Letter from Birmingham Jail in 1963. When we think of extremist, we think of a person who holds extreme views. We think of someone who believes so strongly in something that they'll do anything to get what they want.

We don't think of Martin Luther King Jr. as an extremist. We don't think of Jesus Christ of as an extremist. I don't think of myself as an extremist.

But MLK had a point. A very, very, very good point. We as Christians need to be extremists. Extremists for love and justice. Extremists for our own faith.

It's painfully sad to sit through classes where the professor wants NOTHING to do with religion, especially the Christian religion. Why? For me, I do not understand why anybody would be so anti-God, or anti-religious. Luckily I was born into a family where the Christian religion was key. Luckily I was always surrounded by Christian friends. Luckily I was never tempted in my, what I like to call them, fragile years.

But for those who may not understand, or may not want to understand the amazing Grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, we need to, I need to, become an extremist for them. We need to stand up for what we believe in.

I have seen it... and I continue to see it. Christians proclaim their faith in Jesus Christ, but then do what? And yes, I feel like I am in the same boat as them. I go to church, I am not afraid to say I'm a believer...
 but what do I do that's out of my way for what is right?

This has been on my mind for a while... being a Christian does not just mean believing, but also acting. Taking action to be like Jesus.

I need to stand up and be an extremist. An extremist who believes so strongly in my faith, that I will do whatever I can to proclaim it, and to spread it.

1 comment: